Monday, July 7, 2008

Potatoes...

Sometime ago, someone asked me if potato skin works like tomato skin (it is much easier to peel it off after boiling it) so I tried that yesterday with russet potatoes...

After boiling the whole potato for 20 minutes, it is still rock hard (ok fine, it is not really as hard as a rock but you get the point...). So I then cut each potato into four parts and steamed it (boiling will cause too much of the potato to be lost, russet is the soft kind of potato).

When it is cooked, I peeled off the skin. The skin can be pulled off quite easily but some parts still stick to the potato. If you are planning to cut the potato into cubes, then this is definetly not the way... your hands will all get sticky (which I hate) and again potato bits will be lost on the knife and chopping board. If you are making mash potatoes then it is not so bad.

Conclusion, I personally prefer to peel the potato, cut and then steam. It saves cooking time (and of cause gas) and the amount of water used (steaming requires less water then boiling).

Val

P/s - the other day we went for claypot chicken rice in Chan Sow Lin but since I'm not a fan of this particular dish, please read the review
here

No comments: